Monday, March 8, 2010

Something we agree on - No T.V.

Since we don't currently own our home, my husband and I spend many nights lying in bed talking about what it will be like and what "rules" we'll have. We dream of leaving the house and NOT putting Rio in his crate...dropping our shoes and coats by the front door instead of walking them to our closet...sitting down to eat before we clean the mess in the kitchen...it's the little things right? But one thing we know for sure, we do not want a T.V. in our house...well at least for the 1st year...and we don't want to ever have more than 1.

WHY? WHY? WHY? I will miss all my favorite shows...Weeds, Big Love, I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant. My husband will miss the soccer games he gets up to watch at 4am and Man vs. Wild.

So why?

It's simple, we are done wasting our time watching t.v. Now Now Now before you get all hissy with me, I'm not saying I don't LOVE T.V. cuz I do! I'm obsessed, but I can't just sit down and watch one show...one show leads to a Lifetime movie....that leads to the nightly news...Tool Academy...18 Kids and Counting...I look at the clock and somehow it's midnight, my husband and dog are snoring and I can't remember if I told them I loved them or heard about their day.

So why to not have a t.v.

1. spending quality time with family
2. saves electricity (and a hefty cable bill)
3. If something we really want to watch is on we can socialize with our friends and watch it at their place
4. Probably sleep better because watching Paranormal Activity is giving me nightmares
5. I'll catch up on all that reading I've been meaning to get to

The list goes goes on...

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100% with this, and for the last 5 years, have only had tv one of those years. Its great... however, don't be fooled, just because that box isn't plugged into some satalitte.... well there's always HULU... its so dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree! I haven't had cable or a tv for almost 2 years. Anything I want to watch I can do online and not spend 3 additional hours watching useless stuff! However, there are times, such as tonight, when I really don't have anything better to do and it would be wonderful to veg out for a couple hours. Don't be fooled though, those times are few and far between! No T.V. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete